![]() |
| Two years? Only level 1 after two years? |
![]() |
| Everyone else seems to be level one, so why is Darum so powerful? |
![]() |
| I almost called him Odin |
![]() |
| Did the game forget to called them biomonsters? |
"'Darum! I have your daugher Teim locked in Nido tower. Pay 50,000 meseta in one month if you ever want to see her again.' To get the money, Darum turned to crime."
This letter doesn't make any sense. It was meant for Darum. It gives the motivation for his crimes. So, shouldn't Darum have it? This still doesn't explain why Darum, a strong burly man who can steal from anyone unmatched, is resorting to crime in order to rescue his daughter instead of... rescuing his daughter. Also, the letter gives 1 month, but Nei was attacked 7 months ago!
With the letter in hand Kyle muses that we should be able to convince Teim to come with us. I'm not sure how a letter showing she's being ransomed gives her a reason to escape her kidnappers, as if freedom itself wasn't enough. I found Teim in Nido where there was a definite lack of scoundrels. She was waiting patiently on the third floor in an open area. The only locked door was right at the beginning. Why is she here--at the farthest point from the entrance--unguarded?
![]() |
| Why defend her ourselves when we can pretend she's someone else? |
What I want to know is, where's all the money Darum's been hoarding to pay the ransom? Based on the music, I'm guessing the game wants us to empathize with this crazy exchange, but the moment is completely dulled by the absurdity of the situation. Did Teim want to die? Darum can't recognize his own daughter's voice? The whole event is over so quickly I almost missed it.
The next town is Oputa (shortened to Opta). Located here is a musician who teaches piano. Apparently not to me though, as he's merely a sound test implemented inside the game (no bardic skills for me). Finally, I find someone that tells me where the biosystems lab is located, in the southern part of town. Bad translation aside, I find the lab south of the town.
![]() |
| I want to learn piano, not just listen to you play |
Inside the biosystems lab the enemy difficulty continues to rise at a rate where upgrading equipment is necessary to stand a chance. It feels like I'm barely maintaining an equal footing with the enemies in each area, and leveling up hardly makes a difference to attack and defensive powers.
![]() |
| On the lower floor, hazardous material will harm the party |
![]() |
| See, I drew a graph. Sure it doesn't line up exactly, but it's close enough |
A garbage dump is the only other location I can access. Rumors of water traveling vehicles leads to me to believe I'll find one here; however, it turns out other people are rummaging through the junk as well. At the bottom I find two people discussing a jet scooter, but there's no way to ask for it. Making sure I've explored everywhere I made my way back up wondering where to go next as I exit.
![]() |
| I almost left before fully exploring this part of the dump |
Able to travel the seas I decide to search the overland before following my only other lead of an island that's home to a tree whose leaves allow me to breathe underwater after being turned into gum. There are colored dams, which need colored key cards to access according to the manual. The only other location of interest is Piata. Here I find even better armor, at a most premium price.
![]() |
| Damn dams blocking my passage |
[Note: I say Shir would have been Kili because I had planned to name her that; however, there's a bug in the game that doesn't allow you to change her name. This was one of the most annoying moments I had in this game, reloading multiple times to ensure I was selecting the correct option. Sorry Killias, I tried.]
![]() |
| Except for the things you steal |
Overall the dungeons have been increasing in size and complexity, and this mountain is yet another step up. There are caves to travel through with no clear indication of where they exit. Luckily the tried and true left hand rule overcomes the immensity of the mountain, and I find the tree at last. There's no other features to the mountain, no treasure to find, and the other trees are useless.
![]() |
| I can't tell if that's the sky or water |
![]() |
| Sorry Mario, but your princess lies in another castle |
Why would I take the time to bring them up to an "equal" level with the rest of the group? I can't think of anything unless I'm forced to use them at some point. The extra time to level and cost of equipment is preventative. Currently the party is stuck with Kyle and Nei, so the choice of one or two more members means that Kyle and Nei will always have more experience. I'm not sure there's any reason to have a hunter, thief, or biologist in the group? The wrecker might prove helpful if I'm facing off against a lot of machinery, but techs are a pain to use in battle.
Overall, combat is pretty simple. Most of the time you'll be just attacking. If you want to do anything else, then you're in for a cumbersome experience. The combat menu first presents two options, Fight and Strategy. Strategy leads to Order and Run. Order is used to assign specific instructions to a party member: Attack, Use Tech, Use Item, or Defend. Attack allows you to choose which group of biomonsters to attack (default is the left one). Use Tech brings up a menu of combat magic. Use Item gives the option to select an inventory item for that character. Defend increases the defense of the character.
![]() |
| Selecting Nafoi is a short six button presses away, at least it destroys most things |
One of the biggest annoyances outside of battle has recently been healing after battle. With increased HP, and increasing damage per fight, healing is a real drain. To heal, I have to open the menu, select tech, select the character, select the spell, select the character to use it on, then all the menus close.
I've been trying to move faster while healing, which has led to another issue... selecting the wrong spell. Both Nei and Fera have Res (basic healing) as their first spell; Kyle has Ryuka (Return to town). Going too fast has caused me to go back to town on more than one occasion.
![]() |
| Healing, only four menus to navigate |
There are some good points to the game, so don't take this mostly negative post to mean I'm not enjoying it. I haven't had to go out of my way to grind, as exploring seems to have been sufficient thus far. So far, the way forward hasn't been hard to find, and I'm still anticipating the mysteries to be uncovered.
Session Time: 6h03m (Total Time: 10h25m)















"Note: I say Shir would have been Kili because I had planned to name her that; however, there's a bug in the game that doesn't allow you to change her name. This was one of the most annoying moments I had in this game, reloading multiple times to ensure I was selecting the correct option. Sorry Killias, I tried."
ReplyDeleteHaha, thanks, it's the thought the counts.
A few comments:
1. You're getting fairly far! A.. lot happens in the next third of the game or so. I'm curious to see how you'll respond, haha.
2. I agree about the story elements thus far, but, to be fair, I think that was pretty much par for the course in late 80's/early 90's RPGs. Hell, it's still mostly par for the course now. RPG quests typically make no damn sense if you think about them for more than a few minutes.
3. Yeah, now that you mention it, PS2 is super nested-menu-heavy. I can't recall PS3's too much, although I don't think it's -quite- as bad? Maybe? PS4 gives you a lot more options in terms of controlling battles, such as pre-built macros (preset orders for each part member you can save and edit), but I still think there are a few too many nested menus.
I'm actually questioning how far into the game I am. According to howlongtobeat.com, the fastest time means 20 more hours. I'm guessing I'll be traveling to the other planets eventually, and if there's just as much to do there, then it'll be about that long.
DeleteTo be fair:
Yes, a lot of stories are nonsensical if you think about them too long, but there's little else to think about when wandering through the dungeons.
Almost every game is super nested-menu-heavy; it's the kicking me out of all the menus when I choose 1 action that's getting to me.
Well, I guess the end portion of the game takes a long time because.. well.. those are some -long-, -difficult-, -grindy-ass- dungeons at the end. Still, being over a third of the way (I'd guess, off hand, around 40%) is significant progress, considering this is just your second post and this is a large game for the era.
DeleteYeah, that's what happens when I play for six hours without posting I suppose. I was thinking about breaking it up, but didn't really know where to do it. I'll probably play tonight, so we'll see just how much the game opens up.
DeleteWow, this is right about where I left off in this game, before my save file got corrupted. Hoping you have better luck on that front, and I'll be curious to see what you think of the game's conclusion.
ReplyDeleteThanks, I'm glad to have caught up to you. :D
DeleteI hope you enjoy the rest of the posts.
Hey, Usvestia! The first gay character in a console RPG! ...In Japan. I have no idea who gets that honor in NA games.
ReplyDeleteWhy do you say he's gay? Does it go into more detail on this in the Japanese version?
DeleteIn the Japanese version, he openly flirts with the male characters and charges less to teach them. They changed that for the NA version to saying the male characters look smart.
DeleteGiauz
ReplyDeleteThat piano teacher will teach some of your guys music (I believe I paid for Rudolf to learn this skill, which as far as I got only was good for doing a little piece of music and I think wasting some TP), but I think he just insults your women if you try to pay for them (could be where he gets the mention gay reputation).
Also, when I saw the name 'Steiner ' I had to wikipedia Final Fantasy 9 to see if its Steiner is a reference. Sadly, 9's is named Adelbert and it does not appear he is a throwback to FF's old rival, Phantasy Star.
Unless I'm sent back to him later on, I don't think I'd know to visit him again. Maybe I should have selected no when asked if I wanted to listen to him play? I tend to ignore choices when I think it's obvious what will happen.
DeleteSteiner is Adelbert's last name, so maybe you're right. I've seen the name Steiner in Beyond the Beyond as well, used for the dragon companion. It'd be interesting to track names across games, but I'm not sure how many connections could be made.
Adding to this (and hey Blogger isn't being a jerk to me.... for now), I think any chance of Adelbert Steiner being a throwback is even less likely given that the wiki about him mentions Steiner is a German name meaning stone and is quite common in Europe. So the name's presence in pseudo-medieval-European fantasy is not as big a coincidence as I thought.
DeleteYa I was actually watching you play when you visited the musician. I saw that you didn't choose no to get the option for him to teach you the music spell and you went straight to the sound test. I looked and saw you wouldn't need it for awile so I figured you would be back. As when you get to that point I don't think would be confused where to go to learn a music spell. In the Japanese version supposedly he was more overtly gay but they toned down his racy comments for the US. Although he still charges the men less than the women.
ReplyDeleteMan, I'm a bad person. If it were me, that tree would be on an 'island' in the maze. That is a spot that will be missed by the right-hand left-hand rule. That promises to get you back to your starting spot, but not touch every spot in the maze. There are some simple maze design tricks to add islands this trick will miss. I would have used them.
ReplyDeleteI don't know of any games that used islands during this era on consoles. Maybe some of the later dungeons will use them. I've heard they get pretty hard.
DeleteI don't know of any games, in any era, that use them. I know about them from Dragon Magazine, for tabletop roleplaying games. I hear Gary Gygax, one of the cofounders of D&D liked using a lot of map tricks like them in his games.
DeleteI've read on Chet's blog that Dungeon Master: Chaos Strikes Back may use some tricky dungeon designs.
DeleteWhat does a trick matter if you're the type of person who maps every square on a graph and tries everything on every wall several times like CA has done most of the time? It may get tedious, but through (probably multiple deaths) perserverance CA will conquer any tricks a map can scribe.
DeleteIt'll be interesting to see how much trouble it gives him, but I agree that he hasn't really hit a snag on mapping yet. Even the current game with not drawing side passages or doors unless looking right at them didn't seem to phase him.
DeleteI haven't made any time to play the game since Sunday, so sorry for the lack of updates. I'm hoping to play tonight and have a short recap tomorrow.
It will not work against careful mapping, though there are maze tricks that will (Sliding walls, slopping passages that move you between levels without you noticing, rotating hallways, doors that connect via teleporation). Early D&D moduels were filled with this stuff, and mapping was critical. One of Gary Gygax's early players had perfect visual-spacial memory, so could always map in his head, better then the people trying to keep track on paper, as he could see how each level connected in space, and would do stuff like dig from one level of the dungeon to another, driving Gary nuts.
DeleteDoes the game use randomized maps? Do those tricks happen without any visual cue (could I turn around an notice the slope? Is there a brief flash when teleporting or on spinner like in Wizardry?) Is there a coordinates or map spell to give you some idea of when the game might have messed with you?
DeleteD&D? You can do anything you can think of, it is a tabletop game. The main tricks they used back then were 10' poles, marbles (Set them down and see if they role), careful mapping, and things like that.
DeleteWhy are you playing this game if you have done nothing but criticize it? It is a classic. Many people have heralded it as such. I played it dozens of times when it first came out for Genesis, and I have it on Xbox now and do solo runs on there occasionally.
ReplyDeleteThe dialogue is what it is. It is a Japanese game that got translated to English and some of it did not translate correctly. The whole thing with Darum and Teim was because of the situation Mota and its people were in because of Mother Brain. People were struggling even though their "lives" were easier because of MB. The opening dialogue at the beginning of the game clearly shows this.
Also, this game is a notorious grinding game. Moving from location to location and dungeon to dungeon too quickly is not possible. The developers literally put more difficult enemies and dungeons in your way with the thought that you had to level up your characters several times before attempting the next dungeon. Look at the Blasters in Nido...brutal monsters that can wipe you out in one attack if you are not prepared.
You also meet them at the bottom floor of Biosystems Lab, as well as Mushroom and Stingers, who can heal themselves 6 or 7 HP each attack.
I played it because it was the next game to play. Why should it being a classic protect it from criticism?
DeleteThere is criticism, and then there is just poking at something because you can. I explained to you where you were wrong, and not the game.
DeleteI welcome you pointing out where I was wrong as I hope you welcome where I point out where you're wrong. That is the point of the comments section.
DeleteI have pointed out where you were wrong. Re-read my original comments. Complaining that you were unable to rename Shir is just the tip of the iceberg. I shouldn't have to repeat myself.
DeleteI'm not asking you to repeat yourself. You're doing that on your own.
Delete"I welcome you pointing out where I was wrong as I hope you welcome where I point out where you're wrong. That is the point of the comments section."
DeleteClearly you aren't.
Clearly you aren't? I just said I was fine with it, but you seem to take offense.
DeleteI have pointed out your flaws in your criticisms, but you have not acknowledged them as flaws and not just criticisms.
DeleteThis is also noted because each character you find at home is not automatically
ReplyDelete"bumped" up to your level when you discover them. That would be ridiculous and a huge mistake. If you want to level up faster, remove members from your group--the experience you gain at the end of the battle is doubled for every character you don't take with you. So if you earn 10XP in a battle with 4 people, it goes to 20XP with 3, 30XP with 2, and 40XP with 1
Yes, you can knock off Rolf and Nei and just have Amy or Rudo or anyone else and they can continue the game with Rolf and Nei still dead. I do this all the time for my solo runs, and have every character up to 50 levels before going for Neifirst.
And the whole thing with Shir...that is NOT a bug in the game. It was intentional. She is "Shir of the wind"...and is a valuable asset to the party. Changing her name was never allowed. She learns one of the most powerful techniques in the game as well. I have used her in my party several times. She also steals Moon Dew and Starmist for you.
Zema is a great town--laser knives are sold here and they are some of the best weapons int he game. EVERYONE can use them as well, making them extremely versatile. Don't overlook Zema with your illogical bias.
I can see you're passionate about this game, but you're conflating what I wrote. I didn't suggest characters should join at the same level, only because they don't was the reason I didn't use them right away. Killing off characters to get more experience on an underpowered character is not an obvious strategy playing this casually for the first time. Thanks for the tip.
DeleteI can be wrong, and I probably should have added the caveat that it "felt like" a bug because the manual said you could name the characters as they join with no mention that Shir is special. I believe I note in a later post that those special powers of Shir weren't explained well, so I didn't find it very helpful--again, based on my ignorant casual play at the time.
I'm sorry I bad mouthed your home town of Zema. That comment was solely regarding plot leads or lore, not the exceptional weapon shop.
That's the thing about 80s and 90s games. They were notoriously ambiguous. There was no Google. There was no AI...you learned on the fly. And, for the record, Shir tells you specifically you cannot rename her. So it is not a bug.
DeleteI don't recall her saying so when she joins, but I could have easily missed it.
DeleteThere are literally screenshots all over the place with her exact dialogue that states this. You could easily google them as you did your other screenshots. Trust me, it is there.
DeleteI don't Google my screenshots. These are all taken at the time I'm playing the game.
DeleteI didn't refute that she says that. I'm just stating what I remember.
Then clearly you are only choosing to remember what you want to remember, further proving my points earlier.
DeleteHow clearly do you remember things from 14 years ago? Honestly, I don't see the point you're making anymore. I already said I could have easily missed it. This is all about the experience I had, which is based on the memory after playing the game. I'm not going to remember and write about everything, so I point out memorable moments and scenes that stood out to me. Your expectations do not match reality.
DeleteYou pointed out how you thought it was unfair you could not rename one character. You were so focused on this one "bug", as you called it, that you called it a negativity in the game. You were so focused on being right, when you were blatantly wrong, you can't even admit that you were wrong, and that my friend, blemishes you're already erroneous observations that I pointed out earlier.
DeleteI didn't say it was unfair. I said it was annoying because I had planned to name her.
DeleteI've already admitted to the possibility that I was wrong. I don't know that I was wrong. All the evidence to that so far as been a random stranger on the internet coming here to berate an offhanded comment made 14 years ago. I'm fine with blemishes. I'm not going to change anything here. Otherwise it'd make all your arguments look like it was coming from insane person. Maybe I'm making an assumption here. You are a person, right?
Anna is a great companion to have as well. She is the only one who can use slashers, that attack a group of enemies.
ReplyDeleteYou also mentioned the "next game" ... I assume you mean Phantasy Star 3....horrible sequel. Don't play it, totally not worth your time. Phantasy Star 1 and 2 are far better.
The musician teaches you a technique you need later in the game to get the keycards for the dams you can't open yet. He charges more for a female than a male just so you know.
The dungeons and enemies on Dezo are insanely difficult. Don't rush through this game, you will eventually get to a point where you HAVE to start grinding. There is a monster before Neifirst called the Blastoid that replicates occasionally in battle. This is the point I get to where I manage my players and spend most of my solo run. The max number of experience you can get before it resents to 0 in a battle is 65,535---it is NOT a bug, it just is part of the mechanics of building the game. But when you cut the Blastoids down to 1, put your party members on defend until they replicate 1 or 2 more, assign someone to attack, then defend after they are killed. Repeat this process until you get up to the max experience, then finish off the Blastoid but don't go over 65,535. The whole process takes about 40 minutes.
There are 2 bugs in this game. One is with the Laconian Dagger. The developers messed up the attack and defense with this weapon---it has an extremely low attack (a zero was missed in the programming) and a very high defense. No one purchases this weapon because of this bug.
The second bug is with the technique Shinb that Hugh learns. It is supposed to end combat, but it is bugged and does not work.
So, I am not sure why you are attacking one of the greatest games of all time. Especially before you actually complete the game and experience it in its entirety. It is like reading a book or watching a movie and CONSTANTLY badgering friends and family with inane and asinine comments throughout and ruining their experience. This is typical of a keyboard warrior's tactic. If you don't like it, you don't have to play it. Games are meant for enjoyment, not being frustrated to the point of this kind of ridiculous utterings.
I don't know if you realize this, but this review is 14 years old and I've already played through Phantasy Star 3. Thanks for the warning though. Someone else already commented on the different cost for male and female party members to learn the music spell. I don't believe I noticed when I finally came back to purchase the spell.
DeleteI appreciate that you know the game well, but I don't need unsolicited advice on how to min/max a game I was (or am) playing casually for the first time. I didn't attack the game. I wrote about my experience playing it. Did you read the last part of this post where I said I was still enjoying it overall? Frustration can be enjoyable, just look at Dark Souls, so those things aren't mutually exclusive.
I write about the games as I play them because the experience is still fresh in my mind, and the most memorable parts during this session was what I wrote. I'd be surprised that anyone reading this blog hasn't experience the game for themselves already, so I'm not coloring any opinions before or while they're playing a game. Games are meant to be experienced; enjoyment is an opinion formed by the player experiencing the game and not guaranteed.
Good troll, thanks for posting.
Clearly you went into playing this game with biased glasses on because of you ill thought out "non critcisms" of this game. I know how old the post is, I even said I play this game today. If you don't want unsolicited advice, then don't blindly attack a game for any other reason than just to attack. A game that not just myself, but millions of others had enjoyed and continue to enjoy. It would have been different if you came back and amended your comments after the fact. You did not, more proof.
DeleteDark Souls was brutal, but I never finished it. And you're right they are not mutually exclusive, mostly because of the eras the games are played in. PS2 you couldn't cheat and get instant answers for everything you want, DS you can. PS2 is a notorious grinding game, DS is not, at least not to PS2's level.
You just said games are meant to be experienced and enjoyed by the gamer...where in your statements did you claim to enjoy this game? You criticized this game from the moment Rolf was hired lol You also said you completed the game and commented on the "most memorable" parts. Did you get to Neifirst? I don't see anything past "talking about" finding an underwater dungeon. Some of the best moments of this game happen with Neifirst, and when you go into the dams, according to millions of gamers.
Yes, I am looking through this with a nostalgic set of glasses, but I also understand the game is not perfect. If this game came out today, it would not survive. As I said, the 80s and 90s were a different time. Just like with TV shows like Star Trek, it had many, many flaws, but stood the test of time and survived and, like PS2, is heralded as a fantastic game, despite the flaws.
DeleteYou probably know this now, but another thing you addressed is having to purchase weapons in order to find out if someone can use it or not. While this is true for the most part, the shop owner basically tells you whether the character can use it or not. If they can't, it won't be purchased by that character. I learned (learned, wasn't told) to save before going shopping for this reason so I would not waste valuable mesetas.
They also made weapons and armor specifically for characters as well. For example, Rolf is the ONLY character that can use swords, just like how Anna is the ONLY character that can use slashers, and Nei the bars. It really wasn't that difficult to discern these things with a little patience.
Not only that, but the music in the game was very nostalgic as well. The boss fights were epic, and Dezo's music especially when walking on the surface is classic. That is why they incorporated a musician in the game.
I am just saying your post only dwells on negative observations, instead of taking a broader view and enjoying the game for what it was in its time and era.
Clearly you came here with bias. This is a meaningless statement. Everyone has bias and past experience. I greatly enjoyed the first Phantasy Star. Maybe my expectations were too high for this one.
DeleteI think it's more interesting to understand why you care so much that my experience doesn't align with yours. We played the game at different points in our life, so we're very likely to have different experiences. You seem mad that I didn't shower it with praise. I'm not sure why you're so invested in it.
Blindly playing a game is what I do, so of course any comments I make are going to be blind without knowing all the underlying mechanics. I'm just one person with an opinion and often wrong. I'm okay with that. Why aren't you? Why do you read negative intent where there wasn't any?
This blog isn't about giving a full review of a game, it's about following along with the experience of playing through the game; my experience, not the agreed upon experience. One person's experience isn't always going to line up with the majority of experiences. That would just be boring. Why would anyone care to read that?
You say PS2 is a notorious grind like it's supposed to be well known. As I said, I go blindly into these games, as blind as possible with just the manual. I had no idea this was supposed to be a grind, so the grind colored my opinion as I went along. This goes back to having expectations. You seem to expect everyone to love this game, and I'm here to say there are better games released around the same time.
This sentence is the one you seem to have missed at the end: "There are some good points to the game, so don't take this mostly negative post to mean I'm not enjoying it." I just didn't cover everything that happens, only what was most memorable.
If you want the overall review, then read the rest of the posts... there's 5 more past this one and 1 before it. Back when this blog was more active the post encapsulates a single night of playing up to a week of sessions. At the bottom of each post are links to older posts and newer posts. You can also search for the Phantasy Star II label.
I keep forgetting to mention this, but you also asked if the game forgot to call them "biomonsters"...technically if you listened to the data from the library in the game, biomonsters and biohazards are the same thing. Biohazards are essentially biomonsters that were enhanced from the events in the Biosystems lab. Also, in it's singular form, Biohazard is clearly referring to NeiFirst, which is stated in the game. She/it was the ultimate Biohazard.
ReplyDeleteAnd one more thing about Dark Souls...it was interesting, but I saw no point in losing all of those Souls to a boss fight where one unplanned and randomized encounter and attack from a Boss killed you and you could no longer retrieve your hard earned Souls. I get it that's the design of the game, but it was not for me. I much rather went for Resident Evil 1 and 2 on the hardest difficult speed run and also Dead Space 2 hardest difficulty with just 3 saves and only 50 gamer points. Done and Done.
I'm sure my additional comments hit a little too close to home for you, which is why they are not being posted lol It's fine. millions of people agree with me anyway. I was simply stating fact--your comments were just an opinion.
ReplyDeleteYou are making assumptions about my intentions again. I had to turn on moderation for all comments because bots started swarming the blog a couple months ago, and it's easier to hold all comments for moderation than clean everything up after the fact.
DeleteI will break down and point out the flaws in your comment once again:
ReplyDeleteI never said your experience must align with mine. If you actually read my first comments, I refuted all your criticisms of the game. I stated that those criticisms are damaging your enjoyment of this game, so why play it? You attacked and complained because you couldn't rename Shir, even though I told you why you cannot. I told you that Biohazards and Biomonsters are the same, but you criticized that as well. I told you that rushing through the game is not what this is intended for. Among other unreasonable critiques that you made. Not once did I say you MUST enjoy it, just your childlike comments with no basis when the truth is revealed, are affecting you enjoyment of it.
Yes, we played this at different times: the problem is you can't enjoy the game for what it is because your preconceived 2010s biases are affecting your playing and enjoying the game. If you had played it in its original years, then your view would be different.
ALL of your comments were negative. There was no praise at all. Try again.
You claim to have played RPGs in the past, and just like your mundane and unjustified comments of this game, I seriously doubt you have: PS2 is not the first grinding RPG. In fact, PS1 was heavily grinding as well, but not to the extent of its successor. Just like with any RPG, PS2 basically forces you to grind before advancing to the next location. You LITERALLY said this in another criticism several times in your "observations" about how othe level of difficult dramatically jumps up without any warning lol It's funny how you forget these things when called out for them.
There may have been better games released around the same time, but I have yet to come across one. Again, that is your opinion, and that is okay. However, the line "Heralded as one of the greatest RPGs of all time" is not a lie.
Bottom line, when you point out only the negatives in a game (which you have already stated) then that is all you will see. The game is not perfect, but the tribulations you mentioned are not the reasons why this game is not perfect, as I have already countered earlier.
I don't write here to praise a game. I write about what was memorable from my playing the game. For this game, the negative points outweighed the positive in my mind. I'm not sure on what basis you refute my memories and experience of a game.
DeleteI already went over most of what you put here, so see my previous comments if you care for those answers. I've played contemporaries of this game, that were better made, had better characterization and better stories. Sure, I could "read between the lines" a bit more and let me imagination fill in details, but I took it all in at face value, and there's a lot of absurdity when doing that. Not all, but most of my comments in this post are negative. I agree with that. I don't see that as a bad thing. It was my experience with the game. I'm not going to sugar coat it for the fans of the game.
"You claim to have played RPGs in the past, and just like your mundane and unjustified comments of this game, I seriously doubt you have: PS2 is not the first grinding RPG. In fact, PS1 was heavily grinding as well, but not to the extent of its successor." -- This was the 11th game I played for this blog.
"Just like with any RPG, PS2 basically forces you to grind before advancing to the next location." -- This is false. Most RPGs don't require this amount of grinding.
"There may have been better games released around the same time, but I have yet to come across one. Again, that is your opinion, and that is okay." -- Yes, it is my opinion, and it doesn't make it wrong to write about it. Why do you feel the need to come here and say it's wrong? I'm not arguing against this game being beloved or trying to give reasons why it shouldn't. The purpose of writing and covering the parts that I did is because that's what was memorable at the time of playing this game.
"ALL of your comments were negative. There was no praise at all. Try again." -- There's no trying it again. This is what happened, and it's done.
Every RPG and JRPG (and I have played a lot) required a ton of grinding. Maybe not to the extent of PS2 if you want to max everyone out to 50 like I have done, but still required. Any time you feel you have to level up your characters in order to survive a battle or dungeon, grinding is required. There are different levels, and PS2 has a lot.
DeleteAnd I, like many people, feel the story was more than sufficient. It carried players through nicely, and offered many hints on where to go as you progressed. PS2 is FAR more linear than PS1 was...you can actually get Myau, Odin and Noah within the first 30 minutes of the game. There were many times I got lost when I first played it however, not only because of the layout and format of the dungeons, but because of the traps in the dungeons as well. And that was with my brother and I making extensive maps on paper. The dungeons in PS1 were far more brutal and less rewarding than the dungeons on PS2. The worst you had to contend with is difficult enemies on PS2-- at least you can see more of where you are going.
One RPG I will NEVER play again is Sea of Stars....my god so much dialogue it almost made me delete the game without completing it several times. When you have no story in a game and have to fill it with people whining and pages and pages of dialogue...it only makes it much more obvious how weak of a product you are putting out there.
Anyway, PS2 was more linear than PS1 was. You only had 2 planets to explore, and could not progress to the next town or dungeon (with the exception of Zema and Keuri) without exploring the small "region" you were in first. The only time the game opens up is after getting the jetscooter. And even then you can't get in the dams until after Neifirst. The game even tells you this because your mission is to solve the crisis in Climatrol first. One dungeon leads to another, with clear cut borders in each "zone" on Mota. It's pretty simple to follow.
That's just like, your opinion. Less than half the games I played for this blog required grinding.
DeleteEverything else is your opinion as well, but thanks for sharing even though everything you've said about PS1 has been negative.
I played Phantasy Star 1 a number of times as well. I would say that PS1 is more flawed than PS2...and for actual legit gaming reasons and not the ticky-tack, debunked criticisms you mentioned about PS2 earlier.
ReplyDeleteFirst, and the biggest flaw with PS1, is the damage done by the weaker enemies in the game. You can equip Alis and Odin with the strongest armors and shields in the game, but Swarm still does max damage on them when they hit.
Another flaw, although it is just the game's mechanics, is the "set" leveling up. I much prefer random stat upgrades as was introduced in PS2.
I did not like being able to save whenever I wished. Again, this is my own personal bias, but I preferred how you cannot save until you get the visiphone in PS2. And while you don't really hear about the visiphone unless you talk to a particular character that hints at the device, only the hint book mentions it.
The battle mechanics are grueling, making grinding in PS1 almost discouraged, although I have reached the max level for all 4 characters before. Although it is much more arduous in PS2, I much more prefer it in that game.
The story in PS1 felt more coherent with the next plot points clearly laid out. In PS2 I didn't feel like I had a clear idea of what I was doing or why I was doing it.
DeleteThe dungeons in PS2 were sprawling, but barely any rewards for fully exploring them. I enjoyed the first-person dungeons in PS1 because I could more easily build a mental map of them (although I wasn't a fan of hiding doors in hallways that you couldn't see unless you turned toward the wall to see them).
The flaws you point out aren't obvious unless you're looing up mechanics are running tests yourself to see if damage values are actually changing. I don't normally do that when playing.
I have no preference for saving or stat leveling. I think they both have merits.
The flaws I pointed out are clearly obvious. Just as obvious as you missing Shir telling you that you cannot name her.
DeleteThe only thing I looked up was the natural course of the game. If you had Iron Armor on or Diamond Armor in PS1, Swarms still hit you the same. The only difference is a miniscule increase in "dodging" attacks, which isn't a fair trade if you're still being whacked the same amount by the first opponent in the game. As a player's armor is upgraded and their armor stats are leveled up, opponents should hit less until they get to 1. If the enemy hits "zero", then that is affected by a character's agility, not their armor value. Zero isn't a number, so it should not be calculated in how much "damage it causes."
Anyone that plays D&D type games knows this. And it takes more than just a casual run through of PS1 to notice this major flaw in the game.
The dungeons were meant to progress the story in PS2, and the difference between the dungeons on PS1 and PS2 is once again miniscule. Until you get to the Laconian armor shields and weapons, there is no real value for exploring the dungeons in PS1.
Clearly you have superior opinions on everything. I'm glad you feel so highly about yourself. Have you thought about writing a blog?
DeleteSounds like you have expectations about what armor should do in a video game, and PS1 didn't match that, so you were disappointed. I'm detecting a pattern here.
"And it takes more than just a casual run through of PS1 to notice this major flaw in the game." -- I only did one casual run of PS1 and PS2. I'm not sure if you realize that.
LOL so if you are riding a tank, and someone comes up to you with a slingshot and does as much damage with it as they would with a rocket launcher, you would be okay with that too?
ReplyDeleteGive me a break. This line alone: "Sounds like you have expectations about what armor should do in a video game" proves that your biased glasses and blemished opinions are nothing more than someone with a keyboard in front of them and hoping anyone that listens will pay attention to your ridiculousness.
It's not what my expectations are, it's what is supposed to happen. Armor and defense and agility are completely different things, but hold true across all platforms. These are cornerstones to RPGs, D&Ds, etc. Again, not expectations, but standards.
I'm done. Keep up the good fight sir. And good luck with that biased attitude. You're gonna need it lol
Depends, how big is this slingshot? Where did it strike me?
Delete"proves that your biased glasses and blemished opinions are nothing more than someone with a keyboard in front of them and hoping anyone that listens will pay attention to your ridiculousness." -- what does that make you?
All of your comments are a window into your expectations and what you see as reality. There are no standards in imaginary worlds.
Same to you.