Sunday, October 15, 2017

Below the Cut: Dungeon Explorer II (TurboGrafx-CD)

Dungeon Explorer II - Rating(8 RPP)
1) 2 - Character Advancement: practice/experience based advancement, stat or level increases, multiple classes or characters, customize characters
2) 3 - Combat: character stats used for combat, additional combat options, turn based
3) 0 - Items and Equipment: store to buy and sell, equipment decisions, item decisions
4) 2 - Story: main story at the forefront; world full of hints and lore; descriptions for objects, people, and places
5) 1 - Exploration: open world from the beginning, visited locations remain open
6) 0 - Quests and Puzzles: side quests not related to the main quest, puzzles and riddles to solve

I actually played through the first game before realizing it wasn't quite up to muster as an RPG. Here I'm cutting this one down as there isn't much difference between the two. Rather than repeat myself, go read up on the first game, and the bit I played through.

6 comments:

  1. The next game on my list (SD Gundam Knight Gundam 2) doesn't have leveling based on repeated actions, instead you level by getting new people on your team. I never considered that as something to disqualify it as an RPG but I guess that makes sense. It's supposedly a short game though so I'll keep it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the lack of choosing to grind puts the challenge on the player's ability to pass. It doesn't immediately disqualify a game though. A good example is Ghost Lion, where you had to find key items tucked away in dungeons in order to level up.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait for Shining Force. I've never actually played it, but I understand it is universally well-regarded. I have a similar game for the NES, Just Breed, which is pretty enjoyable, but slow-paced.

    I noticed Uncharted Waters: New Horizons has an asterisk in the 'RPG?' column. Does this indicate it may be cut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it too. Just Breed is one I might look into at some point.

      The * indicates borderline games that I'm including without much thought. I might cut it after playing through it, but I didn't cut the first Uncharted Waters.

      Delete
    2. UW:NH is hilariously broken. I hope it isn't cut, it won't take you very long to complete.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I probably won't cut it. The first was enjoyable, and I've heard the second is better. If it's really good I might play through each character.

      Delete